Scientist - Code: 2332
Nikon Instruments Inc, a globally recognized leader in microscopy and bio-imaging solutions, has established the Nikon BioImaging Lab (NBIL) in the Greater Boston Area to provide contract imaging and assay development services to support the broader pharmaceutical and biotechnology community. As demand for global contract research services continues to increase, particularly in the realm of bio-imaging, NBIL is seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join our growing team. If you are looking to join a company with a dynamic vision for the future, apply your expertise in the life sciences and bio-imaging and grow in a multi-functional, stimulating role, this opportunity is for you!
Key areas of responsibility:
- Lead research projects in support of the development of cell-based assay protocols for evaluating cellular targets and functions.
- Create project summaries and reports, including experimental results, quantitative analysis, optimized protocols and any other information.
- A strong emphasis will be placed on laboratory bench work, including growing and maintaining cell lines, immunohistochemistry, imaging, and associated image analysis assay development, and managing laboratory protocols and consumables.
- Work with the NBIL group leader to conduct internal and external Research and Development projects.
- Communicate and work with NBIL Scientific team to develop research project proposals for contracts.
- Interface with prospective customers to provide input and recommendations with regards to experimental protocols.
- Document all laboratory activities, protocols, analysis methods, the collection of data, and control platform to maintain qualified lab work.
- Execute external contract research and internal applications projects under the supervision of NBIL scientists in support of generating business and developing new capabilities and offerings.
- Support NBIL scientists to develop and execute contract research project proposals, including providing input and recommendations with regards to experimental protocols to prospective customers.
- Collaborate with Nikon Product Development and Marketing teams on efforts to develop new bio-imaging products and applications for emerging needs in the biotech marketplace.
- Support Nikon Sales teams to accelerate sales of microscopy instrumentation and prospective customers when they visit the site.
- Contribute to writing, data analysis, and figure preparation for presentations, scientific reports, and publications.
- Attend training workshops, seminars, conferences and trade shows as required.
- Provide weekly and/or monthly reports as requested by management or headquarters.
- Work outside of normal hours of operation, as needed, in order to fulfill essential functions and responsibilities.
- Communicate and act as a bridge between NBIL team, customers and collaborators.
- Support evaluations of new technologies for use in cell-based assays designed to detect and dissect chemical and molecular pathways.
- Help develop and integrate existing imaging technologies with mammalian cells to create novel, cell-based assay formats for implementation in quantitative imaging microscopy platforms.
- Communicate results and data through oral and written communication, and give effective scientific presentations.
- Assist in developing marketing collateral when events are organized at the site.
- Contribute well considered ideas for new assays and improvements to existing procedures.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of relevant fields and techniques.
- Attend scientific conferences and presents work through posters and publications.
- Mentor less experienced staff.
- All ancillary duties as required.
Education, skills & experience:
- PhD in Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Bioengineering, Pharmaceutical Science or a related field, or MS in respective fields with 5+ years industry experience.
- 5+ years of cell biology laboratory experience required. Previous industry experience in a biopharma, CRO or technology solutions provider is a plus.
- Strong knowledge in Tissue Engineering/Regenerative Medicine, Neurobiology, Immunology, Cancer Biology, or Metabolic Diseases is essential.
- Proficiency with advanced cell culture methods (i.e. 3D cell culture, organoids, microphysiological systems, culturing a broad range of cell types), optical microscopy (various modalities including widefield, confocal), histological methods (i.e. tissue processing, IF/IHC, spatial biology) is strongly preferred.
- Experience with gene editing (i.e. CRISPR, Knock-in/out), flow cytometry, molecular biology (i.e. plasmid transfection, viral transduction) is preferred but not required. Strong background in independently developing and validating protocols for use in cell-based assays.
- Familiarity with imaging and image analysis software tools (i.e. commercial or open source packages such as NIS-Elements, ImageJ/Fiji, CellPose, Stardist), machine learning/AI training) is strongly preferred.
- Programming experience (e.g. MATLAB, R, Python) is preferred but not required.
- Experience in applying scientific principles & concepts, with a particular focus on cell-based assay development and validation.
- Knowledgeable about recent developments in the scientific community.
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills, and the ability to conduct research independently as well as being a team player. e of OSHA, DEP, EPA, RCRA, DOT, DPH, MWRA, NIH, or NFPA, and other laboratory regulations/guidelines is a plus.
- Intermediate level Microsoft Office applications skills (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Working knowledge of OSHA, DEP, EPA, RCRA, DOT, DPH, MWRA, NIH or NFPA, and other laboratory regulations/guidelines is a plus.
- Current, valid driver license.
- Effective Project Management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, at all levels and cross-functionally.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to communicate internally and externally, representing the Company to customers, vendors and other external sources.
- Enjoy teaching and mentoring others.
- Ability to work independently but also within a team environment.
- Ability to learn new tools and applications when and where needed.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic work environment where policies and procedures are still taking shape.
- Ability to meet aggressive timelines and successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work outside of regularly scheduled work hours as needed.
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintain them over time
Compensation depends on a variety of factors including but not limited to; knowledge, skills, experience, education and location. The range for this position is $80,000-$120,000.