Business Development Specialist - Code: 2251
Do you want to engage in a wide array of stimulating research opportunities, broaden your skill set and
knowledge, drive innovation within the exciting biotech industry, and be at the forefront of applying the most
advanced bio-imaging and microscopy technology in the world? Nikon Instruments Inc, a globally recognized
leader in microscopy and bio-imaging solutions, has established the Nikon BioImaging Lab (NBIL) in Cambridge
to provide contract imaging and assay development services to support the broader pharmaceutical and
biotechnology community. As demand for global contract research services continues to increase, particularly
in the realm of bio-imaging, NBIL is seeking a highly motivated Business Development Expert to join our growing
team. If you are looking to join a company with a dynamic vision for the future, apply your expertise in the life
sciences and bio-imaging and grow in a multi-functional, stimulating role, this opportunity is for you!
Key areas of responsibility:
Build strategic sales approaches for industry of life sciences to accelerate contract assay business.
• Develop relationships with key players in order to get access to new sales opportunities.
• Develop strategic revenue-producing partnerships and alliances in life sciences.
• Consistently boost revenue of contract assay business, and build and close a strong pipeline of orders.
• Create a list of target prospect customers and lead sales meetings to coordinate revenue projects.
• Develop and evaluate assay service activities for customers including: proposal preparation,
presentations, customer visits, contract negotiations and deal closing.
• Manage and maintain a pipeline of all sales administration using CRM software (Salesforce).
• Work with NBIL Scientific team to establish and expand contract assay businesses as well as develop
research project proposals for contracts.
• Work with Nikon Marketing team to design sales materials for sales promotion.
• Present work at events (conferences, webinars, and seminars) and follow up with attendees.
• Publish white papers on methods and applications to establish Nikon as a thought leader in Biomedical
• Support Nikon Microscope Sales teams to accelerate sales of microscopy instrumentation.
• Collaborate with Nikon Product Development teams on efforts to develop new products and applications
for emerging needs in the biotech marketplace.
• Travel up to 40% of business days.
• Work outside of normal hours of operation, as needed, in order to fulfill essential functions and
• Meet aggressive timelines and successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Communicate and act as a bridge between team, customers and collaborators (including grant R&D
• Conduct research independently as well as being a team player.
• Contribute well considered ideas for new businesses related to assay service and improvements to
existing service lineup.
• Maintain in-depth knowledge of relevant fields and techniques.
• Sets an example for others through thoroughness, accuracy and commitment.
• Mentor less experienced staff.
• Proven sales success in life sciences market.
• Extensive cell biological laboratory experience required.
• Strong knowledge of microscopy and advanced Bioscience technologies
• Strong background in independently developing and validating protocols for use in imaging bioassays
and screening (i.e., High Content Assay, High Content Screening, Organ On a Chip etc)
• Strong oral, written and presentation skills
• Previous industrial experience preferred.
• Excellent skills in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher) and experience
with Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, MS Teams, Zoom, Webex
• Working knowledge of Instructional Design concepts for the purpose of creating eLearning content.
• Working knowledge of Salesforce.com
• SAP, preferred.
• Knowledge of Web 2.0 and eLearning applications and trends
• Knowledge of Captivate, Articulate and WebEx LMS
• Strong administrative skills and attention to detail
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Basic knowledge of microscopy and microscope applications, concepts, and products
• Ability to work outside of regularly scheduled work hours as needed.
• Experience in management of business development projects of potential licensing deals, cross
marketing, co-development, partnerships, and strategic alliances.
• Licensing works with legal and patent counsel to draft and negotiates licenses (exclusive and nonexclusive).
• Knowledge of Regulatory Compliance, Risk Management and Employee Health & Safety (EHS), Safety
Regulations (e.g. BSL level 2+, MSDS, etc) is a plus.
• Knowledge of GLP (FDA, EPA and OECD), GCP regulations and SOPs as well as 21 CFR Part 11
(electronic records and electronic signatures) is a plus.
• Familiarity with software and cloud applications (e.g. NIS-Elements, R, Stata, Matlab, Adobe CC,
Endnote, Salesforce etc.)
Education, skills & experience:
• A Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Bioengineering, Computer Science, Pharmaceutical
Science or a related field.
• At least 5 - 7 years of relevant post-doctoral industrial or academic experience or a BS/MS with 11-15
years of relevant industrial or academic experience is required.
• Experience in Microfluidic systems, Gene Editing (Knock-in/out), Neurobiology, Cell Signaling, Metabolic
Diseases, Immunology, Cancer, Stem Cell or Machine Learning research preferred.
• Experience working with field sales personnel, high level customers and researchers is a plus
• 5 + years administrative experience in a sales or marketing environment
• BA or Technical / Associates degree in Administrative Services or related field.