Scientist-Nikon Bioimaging Lab - Code: 2252
Do you want to engage in a wide array of stimulating research opportunities, broaden your skill set and knowledge, drive innovation within the exciting biotech industry, and be at the forefront of applying the most advanced bio-imaging and microscopy technology in the world? Nikon Instruments Inc, a globally recognized leader in microscopy and bio-imaging solutions, has established the Nikon BioImaging Lab (NBIL) in Cambridge to provide contract imaging and assay development services to support the broader pharmaceutical and biotechnology community. As demand for global contract research services continues to increase, particularly in the realm of bio-imaging, NBIL is seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join our growing team. If you are looking to join a company with a dynamic vision for the future, apply your expertise in the life sciences and bio-imaging and grow in a multi-functional, stimulating role, this opportunity is for you!
Key areas of responsibility:
- Lead research projects in support of the development of cell-based assay protocols for evaluating cellular targets and functions.
- Create project summaries and reports, including experimental results, quantitative analysis, optimized protocols and any other information.
- A strong emphasis will be placed on laboratory bench work, including growing and maintaining cell lines, immunohistochemistry, imaging, and associated image analysis assay development, and managing laboratory protocols and consumables.
- Communicate and work with NBIL Scientific team to develop research project proposals for contracts.
- Interface with prospective customers to provide input and recommendations with regards to experimental protocols.
- Document all laboratory activities, protocols, analysis methods, the collection of data, and control platform to maintain qualified lab work.
- Work with NBIL Business Development team to establish and expand Nikon contract assay business.
- Collaborate with Nikon Product Development and Marketing teams on efforts to develop new bio-imaging products and applications for emerging needs in the biotech marketplace.
- Support Nikon Sales teams to accelerate sales of microscopy instrumentation.
- Contribute to writing, data analysis, and figure preparation for presentations, scientific reports, and publications
- Work outside of normal hours of operation, as needed, in order to fulfill essential functions and responsibilities.
- Communicate and act as a bridge between team, customers and collaborators.
- Support evaluations of new technologies for use in cell-based assays designed to detect and dissect chemical and molecular pathways.
- Help develop and integrate existing imaging probe technologies with mammalian cells to create novel, cell-based assay formats for implementation in quantitative imaging microscopy platforms.
- Communicate results and data through oral and written communication, and give effective scientific presentations.
- Assist in developing marketing collateral.
- Contribute well considered ideas for new assays and improvements to existing procedures.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of relevant fields and techniques.
- Attend scientific conferences and presents work through posters and publications.
- Mentor less experienced staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Microsoft applications (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Extensive knowledge of microscopy and advanced Bioscience technologies
- Strong knowledge of cell biology, cell culture, and data analysis techniques is essential.
- Strong background in independently developing and validating protocols for use in cell based imaging assays (i.e., High Content Assay, High Content Screening, Organ On a Chip etc)
- Knowledgeable about recent developments in the scientific community.
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills, and the ability to conduct research independently as well as being a team player.
- Experience in applying scientific principles & concepts.
- Extensive cell biological laboratory experience required.
- Previous industrial experience preferred.
- Familiarity with software applications (e.g. NIS-Elements, R, Stata, Matlab, Adobe CC, Endnote etc)
- Work independently to initiate, take ownership of, and lead research into developing innovative cell-based imaging assays.
- Experience in Microfluidic systems, Gene Editing (Knock-in/out), Neurobiology, Cell Signaling, Metabolic Diseases, Immunology, Cancer, Stem Cell or Machine Learning research preferred.
- Knowledgeable about the bio and chemical safety regulations (e.g. BSL level 2+, MSDS, etc)
Education, skills & experience:
- Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Bioengineering, Computer Science, Pharmaceutical Science or a related field.
- At least 1-2 years of relevant post-doctoral industrial or academic experience or a BS/MS with 5-7 years of relevant industrial or academic experience is required.
- Cell culture work experience in a BSL level 2 or higher facility while maintaining aseptic technique and proper safety standards
- Experience working with field sales personnel, high level customers and researchers is a plus
- Ability to work independently but also within a team environment.
- Motivated to meet aggressive timelines and successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Sets example for others through thoroughness, accuracy and commitment.